TheSexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013is alegislative actinIndiawhich came into force from 09 December 2013. This is anAct to provide protection againstsexual harassment of women at workplace and for the prevention and redressal of complaints of sexual harassment and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.This will contribute to realization of their right to gender equality, life and liberty and equality in working conditions everywhere. The sense of security at the workplace will improve women's participation in work, resulting in their economic empowerment and inclusive growth. Under the Act, which also covers students in schools and colleges as well as patients in hospitals, employers and local authorities will have to set up grievance committees to investigate all complaints.
Under this act, the word work placeincludesorganizations, department, office, branch unit etc. in the public and private sector, organized and unorganized, hospitals, nursing homes, educational institutions, sports institutes, stadiums, sports complex and any place visited by the employee during the course of employment including the transportation.
Being a private academic institution, GRIET is also within the purview of the law and hence the Principal has constituted the anti -sexual harassment cell for prevention of sexual harassment in the campus, and the cell is empowered to deal with cases concerning sexualharassment of women staff and students and hence will function as a sub-committee of the institute.
The list of members and terms of references are given below:
||Position in the ASHC
||Professor, Dept. of ECE
Members of the Anti –Sexual Harassment Cell
||Ms. Saroja Rani
||Ms. Saroja Rani Assistant Professor, Dept. of B.S Member
||Assistant Professor, Dept. of CE
||Ms. K. Adilakshmi
||Assistant Professor, Dept. of CSE
||Assistant Professor, Dept. of EEE
||Assistant Professor, Dept. of ME
||Assistant Professor, Dept. of IT
||Assistant Professor, Dept. of ECE
||Mr. K.V.S. Raju
||Senior Administrative officer
Co-opted Members of the Anti –Sexual Harassment Cell
||Ms.V. Laxmi Kumari, District manager
||Durgabai Mahila Shishu Vikasa Kendra, Kukatpally
||Ms.Nethra III-year, ECE
||Non-Teaching staff representative
The list of members and terms of references are given below:In case, if the complaint is against any staff member of the committee then the Principal shall nominate appropriate Chair or member for the enquiry.
The Anti-Sexual Harassment Cell of GRIET is responsible for initiating the necessary process of inquest on receipt of complaint from any aggrieved individual or Dean Discipline.
Terms of reference for Anti-Sexual Harassment Cell in this case are as below:
- To discuss and suggest methods to promote gender amity amongst all GRIET employees and students.
- To suggest awareness video lectures/ workshops for GRIET students and staff members on different aspects of women welfare.
- To address the gender discrimination and sexual harassment cases whenever reported and recommend appropriate necessary action.
- To arbitrate sexual harassment cases and recommend suitable punishments to the Dean Discipline for further action.
- The cell cansuggestdifferent degrees of "punishment" depending on the different degrees offault or offence like Minor, Moderate or Major. Tools to respond to offenses include (1) communication of the standard, (2) disapproval, (3) verbal warning, (4) written warning, (5) suspension or rustication of the guilty parties (6) termination as well as to protect complainants from victimization.
- To consider any other matter on women’s issues referred to the committee.
The following are the various programmes organized by the cell:
1. Self-Defense Techniques: Anti-Sexual harassment cell of GRIET in association with WIE and SPEW has organized a work shop on self defense techniques for B.Tech girls. The main objective of doing this workshop is to make girls more aware, prepared and ready for any situation that may occur in their everyday life on any given day. The session is useful for girls to defend themselves when unwanted incidents happen. Many important aspects like where to hit, how to handle multiple attackers etc are explained clearly. The students also learnt various physical fitness techniques.
2. Meditation Programme: To ignite that lamp among Students the ASHC of GRIET in association with Shri Ram Chandra Mission has initiated a meditation program called "Heartfulness" to awaken thedivine consciousness and provide support on the path of human evolution.This program was attended by 300 postgraduate students and faculty members for 3 days from 16 November 2015 to 18November 2015.Participants expressed that the practice of meditation can help them develop a constant balanced state, a deep sense of connection within inner selves and a lasting direction and meaning to lives.
ASHC Meeting Minutes-2022
ASHC Meeting Minutes